Do you have someone in your life who has helped shaped you into the person you are today? For me that was my Uncle John. He was one of the greatest theologians around and I want to share just a small amount of some life lessons he taught me that have truly shaped me into who I am today.
- Have a passion for the word of God. The Bible is like a woman, she will undress for the one who loves her. To know God is to truly be in love with His word. If you don’t know where to start or find it confusing you can read my Understanding Scripture (attached below) book that I wrote basically from everything Uncle John taught me. This will help you find a deeper passion and love for who God is!
- How to see people like God does. There is a difference in just seeing people and seeing people like God does. He loved people like God loved them and would make you feel like you are the only person in the room when you were talking to him. It made me realize to not just treat people as ordinary but always see people for who they are and who God says they are. He was always looking for an opportunity to share what God said about others and it challenges me to do the same!
- If you’re not a faith preacher, you’re a fake preacher. He always declared the great and good things that God wanted to do in our lives. Even in the midst of his sickness he preached that his sickness wasn’t God’s truth but God’s truth was healing and health in our bodies. He believed God was able all the way to his final breath. We can believe God for big things not just when they make sense but even when things don’t look promising. Choose to believe by faith always, God is who He says He is regardless of what is happening in your life.
- Give your life to the things that matter most. I want you to think about your Thanksgiving table and who is around eating with you during this time. No take it a step further, you are in your last moments of life and who is with you? Those people- make sure you give your time and attention to them first.
- Paul is our apostle. The letters written by Paul in our Bible are the most important for us as new testament believers. If we understand that then we can move on into other studies but above all we must know that Paul is our apostle and he will teach us what we need to know as believers.
- True discipleship happens Monday through Saturday. It’s the dinner table conversations, the everyday life, and the moments spent together that make a difference. Yes, Sunday services and messages are important but true life change happens during the week in our everyday lives. It’s having those conversations with people who you look up to and want that deeper impartation with that will make discipleship happen.
- Live your life like you are exactly who Jesus says you are. Who we are in Jesus is so much greater than we see in the natural. What if we began to believe what the word of God says? We are sons and daughters of the King! We are forgiven, we are loved, we are favored, we walk in grace, and the list goes on. Once you have this mindset it is amazing what you will start to see in your life.
I hope that these simple truths will help you to see life differently and to have a deeper love for who God is. XO