What got you here will get you there. God spoke this to me on a run one day when I was praying about how to handle everything going on right now. This took me by surprise because this is opposite of what we generally hear from leadership advice. I’ve noticed during this quarantine period and COVID outbreak that a lot of people are trying to change the way they do things or change who they are. I’m all about growth and self improvement but I think in times of crisis we have to return to the things that we already know. In a world full of things that don’t make sense and we honestly can’t even plan for the next week we have to return to the things that have been pillars in our life. One of those things for me is that “my heart is my responsibility”. You see we can delegate out a bunch of things in our life, who cleans our house, who picks up your coffee, tasks around the office, etc but the one thing you can not delegate out is your heart. These are the things that I remind myself of in a season of uncertainty or frustration.
- What are you choosing to focus on? We have a world that is shouting for our attention. Even our families and our jobs are but what you choose to focus on is one of the most important decisions that you can make. Everyday whatever is right before you is going to begin to dictate the state of your heart. I have the choice and the responsibility to what I am going to focus on and put my attention on for the day!
- The story you tell yourself. What is the story you are telling yourself about a certain area? The story you are telling yourself around what happened is more important than the event itself. This story is affecting whether you are living in hope, faith, and love or in fear, anxiousness, and despair. An offended moment will only last 10 seconds but the story you tell yourself after that 10 seconds can impact you for the rest of your life. How are you writing your story? It’s your responsibility!
Ask yourself these questions:
- What am I not seeing around me because my heart has become critical?
- When is the last time you have just talked to someone about the good things God has done?
Openness, spiritual hunger, gratitude and receptivity are all attributes of a healthy heart. We have a responsibility everyday and what you choose to focus on and tell yourself will dictate how you live your life and handle everyday situations. Your heart is your responsibility! XO
If there is anything we can say about the time we are living in right now is that it is unusual and uncharted. Whether you are leading a company, a church, your family, friends, whatever it is nobody has been through this before. In life we have a picture of what a wedding looks like, what starting a business looks like, what starting a church looks like, and etc. There are books, podcasts, youtube videos, and all kinds of resources out there to help guide you but not for this type of pandemic. The good news is- you get to define and label this season for you, your family, and your life. What are you going to remember from this season? You can be in a season of life where things are bad but there are also always good things. Which are you choosing to take with you? Everybody takes things differently and that’s okay. We must remember that just because we are taking something one way someone else may not be. Have grace for others around you because everyone processes differently but I can know this, God is doing something great even though it may look differently right now! My family and I have discussed some ways that we are striving to define this season of our lives and I want to share those with you!
- Looking for opportunity in obstacles. It’s easy to focus on everything you can’t do during this time but instead look for opportunities in those obstacles. More millionaires were made during the great depression than any time in history. It’s because they chose to see something differently and saw the opportunities in the midst of obstacles! The opportunity may not be a business idea but just getting quality family time in and starting game night or family dinners. It’s time to start to appreciate what we’ve taken for granted for so long.
- The value of connection. We’ve been told to social distance but more than ever we have to be intentional about reaching out to people in our life. We get so busy making a living that we haven’t been building a life that we want. Social distancing has made us pause and realize the connections you need with the people you love and that’s what is most important. Let love be the definition of this season.
- Serve and love others. This is simple, give more and love more to others. This isn’t a time to hoard and only think about yourself. What do others need from you in this season?
- Slow down. For the first time in a long time the evenings have been quiet and not full of here and there. No sports or extracurricular activities filling our calendars. There is a sweetness about this time, enjoy this time and season with your family and friends. We have to learn to be okay with the quiet!
- Remember this was a time of prayer. We are told to social distance but we can’t spiritual distance. In fact we need to lean in more than ever before. Stay away from the media and get into the word! Be in prayer always.
Friend, if God is for you, who can be against you! Wherever this finds you remember you have the opportunity to define this season of your life. What will you say? XO
Have you ever read a scripture that just makes all things clear for you? I love the verse in Deuteronomy 7:21-22, “You shall not dread them, for the Lord your God is among you, a mighty and terrible God. And the Lord your God will clear out those nations before you, little by little; you may not consume them quickly, lest the beasts of the field increase among you.” This scripture alone handles all debate that God is for us! Here’s why:
Victory and success are yours in God. This tells us that there is no question if we are going to win our battles, there is no question if God is for you, and there is no question if you are going to tak new ground because the victory is yours! This same promise that God spoke years ago is available for us too. Too often we think that God isn’t for us or He is punishing us but that couldn’t be farther from the truth. The fact is we just make bad decisions that have bad outcomes but the good news is we can turn to a God who is good and who is for us! He is always working on your behalf. God wants you to be highly favored, abundantly successful, and supernaturally gifted
The journey will be little by little. Whatever you are waiting for or going through won’t come easy, fast, or in your timing. Jesus rode around on a baby donkey performing miracles in His ministry! That’s the slowest animal you could ever choose!! Why? Because He is the God who gives us victory little by little, He is in no hurry. We live in a society that says faster and so many of us live in constant frustration and exhaustion but yet we are irritated at God for not moving at our pace. You feel like you should be farther along by now or things should be different but God says otherwise. Jesus spent 30 years preparing for a 3 year ministry and here we are mad because we don’t have the title after 3 months on the job. The Bible says that no good thing will He withhold from us, so if He is withholding it from you right now then it’s not good for you. Something could seem good but it’s just not good for you in this season. If you get what you’ve been wanting too soon it will consume you. God wants to give us little by little to show us that who we are is more important than what you do or what you have.
He wants us to know there is a beast. The beast can represent many things. This beast can be pride which would assume that you feel like you can do (fill in the blank) without God’s help. It could be your finances, your marriage, your job, and the list goes on. A beast could represent Idolatry which is anything you can’t be happy without. It could mean many things to us but the fact is there will be one in our lives and that’s what God is trying to protect us from.
Friend, I want to ask you, if what you are waiting for never showed up in your lifetime would you worship God the same? God always shows up, it’s just when we least expect it! Are you submitted, committed, honoring enough? You can’t pray for big things without having big commitment, big submission, and big honor! XO
You are either defining the story of what is happening or other people are defining it for you. What you tell yourself is your narrative and the narrative of your life shapes your reality. There are 5 things that I remind myself of often, sometimes multiple times in one day, that I want to share with you as well!
- I have everything I need. I know this sounds so simple but most of us have a complex that says nobody has ever done this before, my situation is so different from everyone else’s, or nobody understands. Saying “I have everything I need” grounds us. When we start to go into negative thoughts it puts us in a victim mentality but realizing you have everything you need makes us open our eyes to everything that is around us! Philippians 4:13, “And my God will liberally supply (fill to the full) your every need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.”
- I am not alone. The enemy wants to isolate you and make you feel alone and like nobody cares what you are going through. The truth is that there is someone, if not several, people out there going through the same exact thing. There is power in uniting together with one another in your difficulties. Hebrews 13:5, “for He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. [I will] not, [I will] not, [I will] not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let [you] down (relax My hold on you)! [Assuredly not!]”
- I was born for this. Tell yourself this, I was born for (fill in the blank). It can be as simple as I was born to be my children’s parent. What saying this does is connect us back to our purpose. Esther 4:14, “Yet who knows whether you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this?”
- I have always figured it out. God has never left me in a problem that He hasn’t shown me how to get out of. We won’t always know the answer but God does!
- I can trust God no matter what. True faith comes without stipulations. God is the Lord of the valley and the Lord of the mountaintop. Isaiah 26:3, “You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You.”
Friend, wherever this finds you I want to declare over your life that you are the right person, at the right place, at the right time! You were made for such a time as this! XO
I was talking to my friend the other day, just having some girl talk, and I was questioning if anything I was even doing actually mattered anymore. Do my podcasts matter, do my blogs matter, or am I just wasting my time with everything. Of course she encouraged me and validated my voice but how often do we do this to ourselves? We often keep moving forward and as long as we are taking steps everything is going great but once we give ourselves permission to lean into fear even if its just for a moment we find ourselves slowly leaning more and more towards that resistance and doubt. It always starts out as a whisper and keeps growing and before you know it, it’s no longer a lie but a truth because now you are building your life around it. So me in this season just stopped pushing record and stopped doing the things that I knew I needed to do to keep going. Imagine if you only go to the gym when you feel like it, you would never get the results you want. It’s the same thing for showing up for ourselves and our goals! If we only show up when we feel like it, we won’t see anything come to pass. You have to show up even when you feel like not showing up. It’s through your discipline that you start to see results. Are you like me and questioning if what you’re doing even matters? I want to tell you that yes, it matters! And the reason it matters is because God put it in your heart! Sometimes you have to stop and ask yourself what are the things that I can’t stop doing and when you find that out that is your indicator of your purpose and calling. These areas are often where the enemy attacks the most because he knows thats where you are called. Heaven is cheering you on and fighting for you and you have only scratched the surface of what God is going to do in your life. There is more of His grace, His provision, His favor, more of whatever you need! It’s us choosing to trust Him in the journey and choosing to keep going that gets us there. Friend, are you showing up for yourself? Are you disciplined in the things that you don’t feel like doing? God put a big purpose on your life because He knew that He was able to perform it, not because you could. XO